- – A few months ago, we received an inquiry about whether we would be interested in Vladimir’s competition with Poland. We did not respond immediately because it is a very sensitive issue these days – reveals Konrad Niedvedzky
- The gunsmith had to sign documents stating that he did not support the war and the actions of the President of the Russian Federation and was not supported by any Russian companies or concerns.
- Currently, Vladimir rides at the Polish junior records
- The period after which the athlete will be able to compete under the white-red flag depends on the Russians. They can prevent the transfer by extending the time to change union up to 24 months
- You can find more interesting stories in Przegląd Sportowy Onet
Russian skaters cannot participate in international competitions due to sanctions resulting from their country’s attack on Ukraine. It appears that the ban may remain in effect for a long time. The Panchists, like many athletes from other fields, are increasingly deciding to change their federation, especially if they do not agree with the Kremlin’s policy.
Continued article below the video
Vladimir Smirony decided to continue his career in Poland. The first information was revealed by Russian media, but PZŁS confirms that the player is already in our country. Sporting Director Konrad Niedzvedski told us about the work he has done with the federation to enable player development outside of Russia and racing in the red and white.
Speed skating. Russian Vladimir Smirony wants to join the Polish national team!
– A few months ago, we received an inquiry about whether we would be interested in Vladimir’s competition with Poland. We did not respond immediately because it is a very sensitive issue these days. We have been talking for a long time internally with the Board of Directors and the Ministry of Sports, because a number of requirements must be met before we make a decision and start working with the International Skating Federation. So that lasted a good few months. Finally, we got the green light after completing the appropriate declarations, which included: They say that the player does not support the war and the actions of the President of the Russian Federation and is not supported by Russian companies or interests. Vladimir signed such a declaration without any problems, and indicated from the beginning that he did not support such aggression – Nedvedzka reveals.
The player himself does not want to talk publicly about the war and the international situation at the moment. He confirms that his relatives remained in Russia.
– I want to continue training, developing and testing myself in this sport, hence my request to compete in Polish colors under the wing of coach Pawel Abratkiewicz. It was a very difficult decision for me, especially at a time like this. I would like to emphasize once again that it was indeed my intention to change the federation, and my desire to develop elsewhere – says the 20-year-old, who is currently training at Tomasov Mazowiecki.
— As the Polish Speed Skating Federation, we help Ukraine, especially in short track, so it was a difficult decision. After clarifying all doubts and making the final decision regarding Vladimir, we started working on the visa. It was simply impossible for the Russian to fly here. It worked and arrived in Poland last week. He was welcomed by our coach Paweł Abratkiewicz, who speaks fluent Russian. He worked there for 12 years. She asked Paweł to show him Tomaszów Mazowiecki and Spała, because that is where Vladimir is temporarily located. I asked him to confirm his previous intentions over the weekend and set a deadline for his final decision last Monday. I realized he was only 20 years old. I tried to explain to him that it could be a one-way ticket. It is difficult to imagine that he might return to Russia later. He left his family, his studies and his entire life there. At the beginning of this week, he finally confirmed his desire to represent Poland – adding our Olympic bronze medalist from Sochi.
Kazakhstan were also interested in signing the 20-year-old. This is where many famous Russian athletes who wanted to compete on the international stage have already gone. According to Niedvedski, some of them also contacted the Polish Federation, but they gave up due to the lengthy procedures. Semirunnij decided to pass through them.
– I know he has family far away in Warsaw, and one of them even picked him up from the station. I also know that his family has been trying for a long time to convince him to change the union. Why choose us? I think we simply have a good system for training and supporting the sport. I have insight because I have practiced sports for over 30 years. We also have a beautiful country – Niedźwiedzka reveals the player’s motivations.
The date of Semirunnija’s first start remains a mystery. Its fate is in the hands of the Russian Federation. In the Russian news agency TASS, President Nikolai Guliyev said that the speed skater will have to wait 24 months to compete under the new flag. This is the maximum amount that the Russians can set. The association that brings back the player may shorten the grace period to 12 months. If he fails to do so, the Poles may turn to the International Ski Federation.
— There are a number of conditions: residence of at least one year in Poland and at least 12 months without starting in the previous country. And dismissal from the Russian Federation in this case. We are waiting for the official response from the latter – concludes the sporting director.
There is no doubt that the long-distance runner will strengthen our team if he maintains the level he has been in recent seasons. At a young age, he achieved a result of 6:28 minutes on an average quality track. 5 km, a Polish record for juniors. Likewise, when it comes to results for 3km (3:42 minutes) and 10km (13:30 minutes). In addition, he has already won a bronze medal at the World Junior Championships, a silver medal in the Classic All-Around and several medals at the National Championships. Niedźwiedzki hopes that good starts in red and white will speed up the process of obtaining a Polish passport and citizenship.
source:Onet Sports Review
Date of creation: Today, 10:11
Journalist for the newspaper Przeglad Sportuy One
“Bacon scholar. Incurable social media ninja. Professional travel aficionado. Beer buff.”