In the modern office environment, the keyboard is an essential tool for productivity. A well-designed ergonomic keyboard can make a significant difference in comfort and efficiency, reducing the risk of repetitive strain injuries. If you’re in Canada and considering investing in one, we have compiled a list of the top five ergonomic keyboards available in the Canadian market.
Best Ergonomic Keyboard for Office Use in Canada 2023
1. Perixx PERIBOARD-512 Ergonomic Split Keyboard
Detailed Features: The Perixx PERIBOARD-512 Ergonomic Split Keyboard is a full-sized keyboard designed to match the natural alignment of the human hand. This keyboard features a unique 3D split-key design, promoting a more comfortable typing experience by reducing wrist and hand strain.
The wrist rest has an ergonomic design that helps maintain a neutral wrist position, reducing the risk of developing repetitive strain injuries and promoting overall comfort. The keyboard has seven multimedia hotkeys, providing easy access to functions like volume control, internet browsing, and email. The integrated palm rest is made to support the wrists during extended use. This keyboard is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
- Ergonomic Split Design: The 3D split-key design encourages a more natural hand and wrist position, reducing the risk of repetitive strain injuries.
- Multimedia Hotkeys: The keyboard features seven multimedia hotkeys that provide easy access to commonly used functions, enhancing productivity.
- Integrated Palm Rest: The palm rest supports the wrists during extended use, adding to comfort and reducing fatigue.
- Compatibility: The keyboard is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS, providing flexibility for various users.
- Learning Curve: The unique key layout might require some time to get used to.
- Size: The full-size design might be too large for users with limited desk space.
Customer Review: One Canadian customer shared, “I’ve been using the Perixx PERIBOARD-512 for several weeks, and I’ve noticed a significant reduction in my wrist pain. The split design is very comfortable, though it took me a few days to adjust. The multimedia hotkeys are very convenient for my workflow. The keyboard is a bit large, but it’s a small compromise for the comfort it offers.”
2. Logitech K350 Wireless Wave Ergonomic Keyboard
Detailed Features: The Logitech K350 Wireless Wave Ergonomic Keyboard features a unique Wave design with a Constant Curve layout that guides hands into the correct position. The cushioned palm rest provides additional comfort for extended typing sessions. Also, the smooth surface of the wrist rest is easy to clean with a damp cloth, helping to maintain a hygienic and comfortable workspace.
It comes with a Logitech Unifying receiver, allowing you to connect up to six compatible Logitech devices. The keyboard also includes programmable F-keys and dedicated media keys for enhanced productivity. It operates on 2.4GHz wireless technology, offering a reliable connection.
- Wave Design: The Wave design with a Constant Curve layout ensures a natural hand and wrist position, reducing the risk of strain.
- Cushioned Palm Rest: The cushioned palm rest provides additional comfort during prolonged use.
- Logitech Unifying Receiver: The Unifying receiver lets you connect up to six compatible Logitech devices, reducing the clutter of multiple receivers.
- Programmable F-keys and Media Keys: These keys offer easy access to frequently used functions and media control, enhancing productivity.
- Size: The keyboard is quite large, which might not suit users with limited desk space.
- Battery-Powered: The keyboard operates on batteries, which might require frequent replacement depending on use.
Customer Review: A Canadian user stated, “The Logitech K350 has been a great investment for my office setup. The Wave design is comfortable, and the cushioned palm rest is a nice touch. The Unifying receiver is very convenient, as I also have a Logitech mouse. However, the keyboard is a bit large for my desk, and having to replace the batteries is a minor inconvenience.”
3. Cimetech Wireless Keyboard
Detailed Features: The Cimetech Wireless Keyboard is an ultra-thin and compact keyboard that delivers a sleek aesthetic to any workspace. It operates on 2.4GHz wireless technology, ensuring a robust and stable connection up to a range of 10 meters. The keyboard features low-profile keys that are whisper-quiet, allowing for a less noisy typing experience.
The keyboard includes a full-sized numeric keypad, which is beneficial for data entry tasks. It also comes equipped with 12 multimedia shortcuts, providing quick access to functions like media control, internet browsing, and more. This keyboard is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Chrome OS, offering a broad range of usability.
- Compact and Sleek Design: The ultra-thin, compact design makes it an excellent choice for small workspaces or users who prefer a minimalist aesthetic.
- Quiet Keys: The whisper-quiet, low-profile keys allow for a quieter typing experience, making it suitable for quiet office environments.
- Multimedia Shortcuts: The inclusion of a numeric keypad and 12 multimedia shortcuts enhance productivity by providing quick access to frequently used functions.
- Wide Compatibility: The keyboard is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Chrome OS, catering to a broad range of users.
- Lack of Ergonomic Features: Unlike the other keyboards on this list, this one does not have specific ergonomic features like a split-key design or a palm rest, which could be a disadvantage for those looking for these features.
- Battery-Powered: As it runs on batteries, frequent replacement might be required depending on usage, which can be inconvenient for some users.
Customer Review: A Canadian customer stated, “The Cimetech Wireless Keyboard is a fantastic addition to my minimalistic workspace. Its compact design doesn’t compromise functionality. The keys are remarkably quiet, and the multimedia shortcuts are extremely useful. However, the lack of ergonomic features is a bit disappointing as I use it for extended periods. Overall, it’s a great keyboard for its price, and I would definitely recommend it.”
4. Eagletec KG010 Mechanical Keyboard
Detailed Features: The Eagletec KG010 Mechanical Keyboard is a full-sized keyboard that is designed to provide a satisfying and tactile typing experience. Its key feature is its mechanical keys, which have a distinct ‘clicky’ feel and sound that many typists find satisfying. The keys have medium resistance, audible click sound, and tactile bump feedback.
This keyboard also features custom mechanical switches designed for longevity and durability, ensuring that the keyboard will hold up to heavy use. The keyboard is illuminated with blue LED backlighting, which can be adjusted for brightness and is excellent for low-light conditions. The KG010 is built with aircraft-grade aluminum for a robust and durable feel. It is compatible with Windows and limited Mac OS functionalities.
- Mechanical Keys: The mechanical keys provide a satisfying tactile and audible feedback, which can improve typing speed and accuracy.
- Durability: The custom mechanical switches and aircraft-grade aluminum construction ensure the keyboard’s longevity and durability.
- Blue LED Backlighting: The adjustable blue LED backlighting adds a stylish aesthetic and is useful for typing in low-light conditions.
- Full-Sized Layout: The full-sized layout with a numeric keypad is ideal for data entry and general office tasks.
- Noise: The ‘clicky’ mechanical keys can be loud, which might not be ideal for quiet office environments.
- Limited Mac Compatibility: While it is compatible with Windows, Mac users may find some keys do not work as expected.
Customer Review: A Canadian user commented, “I absolutely love the Eagletec KG010 Mechanical Keyboard. The tactile feedback from the mechanical keys has improved my typing speed and accuracy. The LED backlighting is also a nice touch. However, the keys can be quite loud, which can be distracting in a quiet office. Mac users should also be aware that some keys might not function as intended.”
5. Aelfox Memory Foam Keyboard
Detailed Features: The Aelfox Memory Foam Keyboard is not a traditional keyboard, but a keyboard wrist rest pad designed to offer optimal comfort while typing. It measures 44.5 x 8.2 x 2.5cm, making it suitable for most standard keyboards. The Aelfox Memory Foam Keyboard Wrist Rest uses high-quality memory foam that conforms to the shape of your wrists, providing excellent support and cushioning for extended typing sessions.
This ergonomic wrist rest is made of memory foam, which molds to the shape of your wrists, providing excellent support and comfort. It also features a non-slip rubber base that prevents it from moving around on your desk. The non-slip rubber base ensures that the wrist rest remains in place during use, preventing unnecessary movement and providing a stable surface for typing.
- Memory Foam Material: The memory foam material provides excellent wrist support, reducing discomfort and strain during extended typing sessions.
- Non-Slip Base: The non-slip rubber base ensures the wrist rest stays in place, even during intense typing sessions.
- Universal Compatibility: The wrist rest is designed to be compatible with most standard keyboards, making it a versatile addition to any workspace.
- Not a Standalone Keyboard: As it’s not a keyboard itself, users will need to purchase a keyboard separately.
- Might Occupy Extra Space: It could occupy extra space on the desk, which might not suit users with limited desk space.
Customer Review: A Canadian customer mentioned, “The Aelfox Memory Foam Keyboard wrist rest is a game-changer for my office setup. It provides excellent support and comfort to my wrists during long hours of typing. The non-slip base is a thoughtful feature. However, it does take up a bit of extra space on my desk, but it’s worth it for the comfort it provides.”
Ergonomic Keyboard for Office Use Buying guide
- Split Design
A split ergonomic keyboard separates the keys into two distinct sections, allowing users to position each half at an angle that reduces wrist strain. Some keyboards feature a fixed split design, while others are adjustable, enabling users to customize the keyboard angle according to their preference.
- Curved or Tenting Design
Ergonomic keyboards with a curved or tenting design have keys that are raised in the middle, encouraging a more natural wrist position. This design reduces the amount of ulnar deviation, or the bending of the wrist outward, which can lead to discomfort and injury over time.
- Key Switches
The type of key switch used in an ergonomic keyboard can greatly impact the overall typing experience. There are three primary types of key switches: membrane, mechanical, and scissor-switch. Membrane switches are generally quieter and more affordable, but may lack the tactile feedback that some users prefer. Mechanical switches offer a more responsive typing experience but can be louder. Scissor-switch keyboards strike a balance between the two, offering a quieter and more responsive typing experience than membrane keyboards.
- Wrist Rest
A built-in wrist rest can help promote proper wrist positioning and provide additional support during extended periods of typing. Some ergonomic keyboards include a wrist rest, while others require the purchase of a separate accessory.
- Wireless vs. Wired
Ergonomic keyboards are available in both wireless and wired options. Wireless keyboards offer more flexibility in terms of positioning and reduce cable clutter, while wired keyboards provide a stable connection without the need for battery replacement or recharging.
- Additional Features
Many ergonomic keyboards offer additional features, such as customizable keys, integrated touchpads, or numeric keypads. Consider your specific needs and preferences when selecting a keyboard with these features.
Uses of Ergonomic Keyboards for Office Use
- Preventing Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSIs)
One of the main uses of ergonomic keyboards is to reduce the risk of developing RSIs, such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis. Ergonomic keyboards are designed to promote proper hand and wrist positioning, minimizing strain during long hours of typing.
- Enhancing Comfort and Productivity
Ergonomic keyboards are designed to provide users with a more comfortable typing experience, which can lead to increased productivity. The unique design and layout of these keyboards help to reduce muscle strain and tension, making typing more enjoyable and less tiring.
- Reducing Fatigue
The design of ergonomic keyboards encourages proper hand and wrist positioning, which can help reduce the risk of fatigue during extended periods of typing. This allows users to maintain focus and concentration throughout the workday, promoting overall efficiency and productivity.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the different types of ergonomic keyboards?
There are several types of ergonomic keyboards, including split keyboards, curved or tented keyboards, and contoured keyboards. Split keyboards separate the keys into two distinct sections, while curved or tented keyboards feature keys that are raised in the middle. Contoured keyboards have a unique design that conforms to the natural shape of the human hand, providing additional support and comfort.
- How do I choose the right ergonomic keyboard for my office?
When selecting an ergonomic keyboard for your office, consider factors such as the design, key switches, wrist rest, and additional features. Additionally, think about whether you prefer a wireless or wired keyboard. Test different keyboard options to determine which feels most comfortable and suits your specific needs.
- How long does it take to adjust to using an ergonomic keyboard?
The adjustment period for using an ergonomic keyboard can vary from person to person. It may take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for users to become accustomed to the new layout and typing style. It’s essential to be patient and give yourself time to adapt to the ergonomic design.
- Are ergonomic keyboards suitable for all users?
While ergonomic keyboards are designed to provide greater comfort and support for most users, individual preferences and needs may vary. Some users may prefer a traditional keyboard layout or find that an ergonomic keyboard does not provide the desired level of comfort. It’s important to test different keyboard options to determine which is best suited for your specific requirements.
- Can I use an ergonomic keyboard with my laptop?
Yes, ergonomic keyboards can be used with laptops. Most ergonomic keyboards connect to your laptop via USB or Bluetooth. Be sure to check the compatibility of the keyboard with your laptop’s operating system and available ports.
In conclusion, each of these keyboards offers unique features that cater to different user needs. The Perixx PERIBOARD-512 Ergonomic Split Keyboard and Logitech K350 Wireless Wave Ergonomic Keyboard have ergonomic designs for comfort. The Cimetech Wireless Keyboard’s compact and quiet design is ideal for minimalistic workspaces. The Eagletec KG010 Mechanical Keyboard offers a tactile typing experience, and the Aelfox Memory Foam Keyboard wrist rest provides excellent wrist support. Your choice depends on your specific needs and workspace requirements.
“Prone to fits of apathy. Introvert. Award-winning internet evangelist. Extreme beer expert.”
The Family Chantel Season 5: Release Date Updates Finally Revealed
Best Fiction Selling Canadian Books of all Time in Canada 2023 – Test & Comparision
Best Gaming Mouse Pad for PC in Canada 2023 – Experts review