standby mode, Also called mode Suspension is the so-called Sleeps. In sleep mode, the device does not turn on, but remains ready all the time for the next command given, for example by remote control.
Standby mode was invented to make life easier for the user – it allows you to quickly reboot, for example, your TV without having to get up from the sofa or the computer without having to turn it on after each work break. Unfortunately, the constant use of standby mode has a definite drawback – Devices in standby mode constantly consume electricity, which puts the family budget at risk.
to the most famous Devices with standby mode belongs to:
- Devices controlled by remote controls, such as televisions
- Computers and Laptops
- microwave ovens
- Chargers and power supplies
- video player
- game consoles
Even worse, some of these devices consume more power in standby mode than they do during operation! This is because they stay in this position for a longer time. For example: After eight hours of operation, we leave the computer in standby mode, where it is still consuming electricity for 16 hours.
Read also: Energy eaters in your home
It seems Devices in standby mode They do not consume such amounts of electricity that it can jeopardize the family budget. However, this is not true. It is worth noting that the average Polish home has even a few devices that are constantly on standby – after adding the power used, the problem turned out to be greater than we thought.
How much electricity do popular household appliances consume Equipment in standby mode?
- Computer power supply plugged into the outlet when the computer is not working – 0.8 to 2.2 W
- DVD – from 1 to 3 watts.
- TV – from 0.8 to 5 watts.
These three home appliances consume a lot of power, but are still dimmer compared to a router and Digital TV Decoder. A standby router can consume up to 6-9 watts, and a digital set-top box – from 15 to 28 watts. This can add up to PLN 100 to your electric bill annually!
How to reduce electricity bills before winter? Professional advice
There are several ways that allow us Energy savingAnd they are all related to limiting the use of standby mode. To reduce energy consumption:
- Completely unplug appliances at night and when we are not at home
- Purchase a programmable switch, with which we can program the deactivation of individual devices
- Connect devices that work at the same time to one bar, which can be turned off by one button.
It’s worth it too Disable standby option In computers and televisions. To turn off the mode on the TV, use the remote control to enter the settings, then to Eco or Save (it all depends on the TV brand) and select Auto Off. Then we can set the time after which the TV will automatically turn off.
In a similar way, we can also turn off this mode on the computer. To do this, enter Power Options, then Settings, System, Power, Sleep, and Additional Power Settings.
Otherwise, how can you save electricity in your home?
- Tariff change – Electricity distributors provide tariffs that will help reduce the amount of electricity bills
- Turn off the light – turn off the light when you leave the room, even if you plan to get back there in a few minutes. Restarting the lamp has the same power consumption as the lamp for 1 second
- Use the refrigerator correctly – the refrigerator runs around the clock, so make sure it uses as little energy as possible. To do this, put it as far away from heat sources as possible, open it rarely and only for a moment, not only in refrigerated dishes, wash it regularly and thaw.
Check also: Italian tip for Nobel Prize winner: Cook pasta in a way that saves electricity bills
“Prone to fits of apathy. Introvert. Award-winning internet evangelist. Extreme beer expert.”
Best Reclining Gaming Chair with Footrest in Canada 2023 – Test & Comparision
Best Wireless Power Bank 20000mAh in Canada 2023 – Test & Comparision
Best Wireless Power Bank for Iphone in Canada 2023 – Experts review