- Our team was eliminated in the World Cup in Qatar in the 1/8 finals. After a good performance against France, the senior players of the team started talking openly about the need to play in an attacking manner
- We were able to establish that during one of the sessions, the selector told the players that he, together with Robert Lewandowski, established the rules for the division of the special bonus that Prime Minister Mateusz Moravicky personally promised
- The promise of a “national” bonus for being knocked out of the group at the World Cup is unusual and not yet practiced. And this is not surprising, because football players receive a bonus from PZPN
- The crackle in the relationship between Lewandowski, Zielinski and many other footballers with Micniewicz means his chances of keeping his job are fading fast.
- More interesting stories can be found at Przegląd Sportowy Onet. Check!
The better match against France did not calm the mood at all. Coach Michniewicz reacts nervously and slyly to even the most fundamental questions during the conference, sending him the most important players decisive and obvious hints.
After the match against France, Piotr Zielinski and, above all, Robert Lewandowski allowed himself such words, and when asked by TVB Sport if he would like to play in the World Cup in four years, he said important phrases: “The game is essential. It will be an element.” important, even in the near future.” It sounded like an indictment against Michniewicz’s conservative tactics, but it turned out that the gentlemen had different opinions not only on this issue.
Prime Minister: Really good award
We managed to prove this at one of the sessions – after two matches, when the fate of leaving the group was in the balance, the coach told the players that he, together with Robert Lewandowski, had drawn up the rules for dividing the special bonus, which the Prime Minister from the Polish government, Mateusz Morawiecki, personally promised the team.
It’s a huge amount in the range of 30 to 50 million. The Prime Minister personally informed the players of the reward. That was before they left for the tournament in Qatar.
“I can only say that I believe in you. You will certainly give your best, and we will ensure that if we succeed, there will be a very good reward” – Mateusz Morawiecki told the team in the video shared via the channel We Connect Ball (statement from 5:42).
He also announced that “when the boys leave the group,” he will definitely go to the match. It is already known that he did not fulfill this promise. The unusual prize was to go directly to the players, bypassing the federation’s accounts.
– We want to support Polish football in such a way that a special fund will be created that deals with the training and development of children playing football, the creation of additional infrastructure, new technologies in sport or issues related to the Polish national team. This is the money that will be used for these purposes – said government spokesman Piotr Mueller on MondayWhich makes it clear that the amount will not go directly to the players or the technical staff.
Battle for millions
The Prime Minister of Qatar was not present, but the issue of the generous reward appeared in the staff locker room and during the aforementioned briefing turned into a conflict. According to our information, Michniewicz informed the players that according to the contract, PLN 10 million of the total amount will be allocated to the employees.
Lewandowski then protested, saying that the arrangements between them were different – only PLN 5 million was going to go to the staff. We do not know how the dispute was resolved, but it is difficult to assume that it had a positive effect on the coach’s relationship with at least a few of the team captains.
In financial matters, Lewandowski – when it comes to handing out bonuses or rules for providing an individualized picture of staff needs – can be very principled and Michniewicz found that out the hard way.
Let’s add that the promise of a “national” reward for leaving the group at the World Cup is unusual and has not yet been implemented. And this is not surprising, because the players receive a bonus from the Polish Football Association (which, in turn, receives special funds from FIFA).
On this basis, players received about 3 million dollars for applying to the World Cup, and 40 percent for leaving the group. With $4 million received by PZPN.
The crackle in the relationship between Lewandowski, Zielinski and many other footballers with Michniewicz means his chances of keeping his job are fading fast. According to the contract, the PZPN president now has a few days to decide if he wants to extend the contract, which expires at the end of December, for another year, and it’s hard to believe he decided to do so.
Kulesza will face a similar dilemma to former boss Zbigniew Boniek who hired Jerzy Brzęczek, and with the team’s interest in mind, he will likely decide that the will of the leading players must be taken into account. It is clear that they are not keen on further cooperation with Michniewicz. The bad style that appears in the group stage matches will make it easier for the president to make such a decision.
This locker room is divided.
Former coach Jerzy Engel talks interestingly about the behavior of the players after the match against France on Polsat Sport Extra.
– I did not expect that we would hear such statements from key players in whom we believed so much before the World Cup, like Lewandowski or Zelensky, and that they would say things after the World Cup that did not suit them at all. But it shows that this dressing room is not unified, that this dressing room is seething, that there is a division, that there are players who want to play modern attacking football, there is a group of players who prefer to play conservatively – evaluated and Engel drew attention to the most important truth to him in this case.
Unfortunately, this is the worst thing that could happen. Players can, if they want, report their objections to the coach in the locker room and resolve the issue in some way. Because this is what you sit down together to discuss everything before the game starts. There is nothing more important to a coach than the dressing room. It doesn’t matter what happens at all. If the coach and players agree and the players create an agreed team, something will happen. And if this locker room is divided, and we see that it is, unfortunately we have pictures like today – said an experienced selector at Polsat Sport Extra, referring to the official data of the leading players.
The World Cup for Poland is over, but the days ahead will still be exciting. The head of the PZPN should consider separating from Michniewicz and at the same time have a candidate for his successor.
Contrary to appearances, there is not much time left – on March 24 next year, the first match of the Euro 2024 qualifier awaits us, and in theory the most difficult to spot: against the Czech Republic in Prague.
“Bacon scholar. Incurable social media ninja. Professional travel aficionado. Beer buff.”