The surprise firing of CTV National News anchor Lisa LaFlamme sent shock waves across English Canada and abroad. After 35 years of his career, thanks to the Antena star’s leader, he receives a lot of support in newspapers and social networks.
Legendary news anchor Lisa LaFlamme announced her abrupt dismissal from CTV in a Twitter video on Monday. At age 58 and after 35 years of career, he learned that 39-year-old journalist Omar Zachedina would replace him.
His video posted on Twitter quickly went viral, prompting strong reactions from Canadian journalist and public figure Johanna Schneller: “Shame on Bell Media. Lisa LaFlamme was well qualified. »
The legendary news broadcaster (whose departure evoked emotions comparable to those felt by Quebecers when Bernard Derome and Pierre Bruno retired) shares his surprise and sadness after being sacked in the most disgraceful manner by Bell Media (owned by CTV).
“For 35 years, I have had the privilege of being welcomed into your homes every night to deliver the news, so I thought you should hear this from me,” he said. On June 29, I was informed that Bell Media had made — and I quote — “a business decision to terminate my contract,” abruptly ending my long career with CTV News. I am shocked, shocked and saddened by this decision. »
The video has so far garnered 4.2 million views, 79,800 likes and 16,100 comments. Reactions also took the form of open letters from angry readers against sexism and ageism in newspapers. The Globe and Mail.
The end of Bell Media
In a statement on Monday, Bell Media said Omar Zachedina would replace him on September 5, citing “changing viewing habits” and explaining that it would take the show “in a different direction”.
However, Lisa LaFlamme’s newscast is one of the most popular in Canada, according to the latest Numbers data. The numbers raise questions about Bell Media’s decision to abruptly terminate Lisa LaFlamme’s contract.
In Canada’s English newspapers, rumors are rife, sparking a lawsuit here over a toxic workplace cleanup, and there, a controversial statement leading to the resignation of Patrick Brown as leader of Ontario’s Progressive Conservative Party.
Contacted in this regard NewspaperJournalism professor at UQAM Jean-Hugues Roy doesn’t hesitate to talk about coming of age for women.
“I find it very unfair that women suffer such injustices,” she said. Would Ms. LaFlame have received the same treatment if she had been a man? I don’t believe. Would she still be here if she was a man? I think so. Generally, men are free to leave on their own. Looks like we’re going backwards. »
Bell Media did not respond to an interview request Register.
The Age of TV Hosts When They Retire
- Lloyd Robertson: He retired from CTV in 2011 at the age of 77.
- Peter Mansbridge: He retired from CBC in 2017 at the age of 69.
- In Quebec, Pierre Bruno He retired last June at the age of 70.
- Bernard Derome He retired in December 2008 at the age of 64.
They react on social networks
“ Lisa LaFlamme’s firing was despicable and poorly handled by Bell Media in particular. I would like to pay tribute to a legendary anchorwoman. Lisa LaFlame remains firmly at the helm of CTV National News. Big loss. And great discomfort…”
– Esther Begin, presenter, host and documentary maker
“ 35 years as a journalist and news anchor for a primetime national newscast…we told her she had made the choice for her and that was the end.
– Anne-Marie Withanshaw, Animator
“ I have always admired and respected Lisa Laflamme. Here’s an example of a polite departure… even if it wasn’t her choice, she explains. respect »
– Patrice Roy, news anchor
“ I’m so sorry, Lisa. »
– Céline Galipeau, presenter at Téléjournal
“Shame on Bell Media. Lisa LaFlamme deserves better. »
— Johanna Schneller, columnist for The Globe and Mail
“Pop culture practitioner. Award-winning tv junkie. Creator. Devoted food geek. Twitter lover. Beer enthusiast.”