- In young people, unpleasant symptoms appear unexpectedly, incl. Insomnia, hallucinations, thinking difficulties, problems with movement or weight loss
- One suspicious case concerns a young man who unexpectedly began to develop symptoms of dementia and ataxia, that is, a disorder of body coordination.
- In another case, a woman in her 30s suddenly began to have difficulty speaking and eating. It is now necessary to feed her food through a tube
- The disease embarrassed clinicians because standard neurological tests on patients failed to help identify or rule out certain conditions.
- Experts assure that they are concerned about the situation, primarily due to the age of the patients. As they confirm, neurological diseases are rare in young people
- You can find more of these stories on the Onet homepage
In an interview with the daily, an employee of the Vitalité Health Network, one of two health authorities in the New Brunswick area, said the number of suspected cases was likely on the rise. Although doctors officially observed signs of previously unknown disease in 48 patients, reports show that the actual number of people affected is 150.
“I’m really concerned about these issues because they seem to be growing fast,” says one of the people interviewed by the Guardian.
mysterious nervous disease
The first reports of the mysterious disease appeared in the spring of 2021. Alarming symptoms were noted in dozens of young people, including. Insomnia, hallucinations, thinking difficulties, problems with movement or weight loss.
One suspicious case concerns a young man who unexpectedly began to develop symptoms of dementia and ataxia, that is, a disorder of body coordination. His wife, who took care of him, had muscle wasting, signs of dementia, and hallucinations over time.
In another case, a woman in her 30s suddenly began to have difficulty speaking and eating. It is now necessary to feed her food through a tube.
The rest of the text is below the video:
In turn, one of the young patients lost about 27 kilograms for no apparent reason. She also had hallucinations and complained of insomnia. After running a series of tests in the brain, they found advanced signs of atrophy, a phenomenon that indicates tissue loss.
Doctors are confused
A private clinic dealing with neurodegenerative disorders asserts that cases of these diseases have recently embarrassed clinicians, because standard neurological tests on patients have failed to identify or rule out certain conditions.
It is also difficult to conduct a comprehensive examination of patients, since it is possible to obtain certainty regarding the results in such cases only after examining brain tissue, and this is possible only after the death of the patient.
However, experts emphasize that they are concerned about the situation, primarily due to the age of the patients. As they assure, neurological diseases are rare in young people.
Meanwhile, although the number of cases appears to be increasing, there is still no official information from the county authorities. Some officials suggested in October 2021 that the disease was in fact the result of incorrect diagnoses by doctors. Moreover, one of the scientists told the magazine that the research teams are ready to start work, but that the authorities have asked them not to continue their research for the time being.
Subscribe to the Onet newsletter to receive the most valuable content from us.
“Infuriatingly humble musicaholic. Problem solver. Reader. Hardcore writer. Alcohol evangelist.”