Alice in Wonderland: Classic Film Collection on DVD
Posted by: Michael
Fall down the rabbit hole and discover – or rediscover – wondrous adventures with the Alice in Wonderland: Classic Film Collection,a special collector’s set onDVD March 30 from Infinity Entertainment Group.
Lewis Carroll’s whimsical 1865 novel, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,was a cinematic favorite long before Johnny Depp “went Mad.” The first film (just eight minutes) was produced in 1903. With dozens of versions since for stage, film and TV, its beloved characters have been played by some of Hollywood’s most legendary actors.
Special collector’s set, with rare film, includes:
- Alice in Wonderland (1915) — The first version near to the novel, this silent movie starred Viola Savoy. Though many believe the film to be lost in its entirety, includes all 52 minutes. Produced long before CGI, the creatures are costumed actors and the absence of dialogue creates a surreal, dreamlike quality. Also stars Elmo Lincoln, who went on to fame as the original Tarzan.
- Alice’s Adventures in Cartoonland (1925) —Two shorts from an animated film series directed and produced by Walt Disney himself, starring curly-haired, four-year-old Virginia Davis, called Disney’s “first cinematic star” by the New York Times, and Margie Gay. (Includes drawings some historians think may have influenced the evolution of Mickey and other iconic cartoon characters). Initially performing before a white cloth with Disney instructing, “Let’s pretend,” the animated characters were added later
- Alice of Wonderland in Paris (1966) — This enchanting feature film with French animation includes the voice of Carl Reiner.
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (1972) — This British musical theatrical film adaptation features a star-studded cast, including Michael Crawford, Peter Sellers, Dudley Moore and Fiona Fullerton.
- Alice in Wonderland: Classic Film Collection is presented in full screen with an aspect ratio of 4 x 3 and original sound.